Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Moving up in the age group

I needed some way to mark my 63rd birthday, which is today.

People who golf want to shoot their age, but 63 would only get me two-thirds of the way around the course.
I could spend $63, but where's the challenge in that?
I considered running 63 miles, but thought I might not make it to work on time (next week).

So, I ran 6.3 miles. That was easy enough to do, but it got me to thinking that if I'm still running when I'm 90, that 9.0-mile run might be a little tough.I'll probably be retired by then, so at least I'll have all day to do it.

I'll have to check this out, but I think I burned a few extra calories today just because my Garmin watch knew I'd gone from 62 to 63 years old.
---------------------------------------------------------
Last week, almost by accident, I recorded my highest weekly mileage of the year: 34 miles. It happened because I ran 8 miles on Sunday instead of my usual 4-6, then ran every day but one because I was unable to throw in more than one day of riding.

I haven't run any distance real fast yet, but I have had a couple outings averaging under 9 min. per mile. My rehab'ed foot sometimes gets a little puffy after longer or faster runs, but it's nothing that a little ice can't handle.

No comments: