Saturday, November 02, 2013

Colors on the run

After all the rain we've had this week, and all the running I've done on the treadmill, it sure was nice to get outside today. Cool, bright sunshine, slight breeze and, as a big bonus, fall colors at their height.
I decided to drive the 1.2 miles to the Line Creek Trail and start my run at the trailhead. Normally I would just run there from the house, but I wasn't much interested in running uphill out of the neighborhood. I wanted to start flat at worse.
The trail is finished now from the trail head at Gower Rd. all the way to Riverside, a distance of 3 miles. The
Yes, I actually stopped to take a picture. Line Creek Trail.
path itself is concrete, about 7 or 8 feet wide. I'd rather it be something softer, but I get the whole low-maintenance thing. Besides, the trail has everything else going for it, since it runs through the woods alongside Line Creek. It's always pleasant visually, but especially in the fall.
I planned to just take it easy all the way and enjoy the weather and surroundings, and my audiobook. I started with a 9:58 mile - and that was primarily downhill - and then spent the rest of the run at or a little below 9. I didn't feel like I was pushing it, though. I saved all that early burn by ducking the climb out of my subdivision, and that made it easy to get going a little faster without that much extra effort.
After the six miles on the south end of the trail, I needed a couple more miles for the 8 I planned on. I picked that up on the north end of the trail, which is also nice but maybe not quite as nice as the south end.
The run gave me 29.2 miles for the week. I averaged 9:04 per mile, doing the 8 miles in 1:12:32.
I'm in plenty good enough shape for any kind of race from 5 to 15 k, but I haven't signed up for anything. I'm trying to stick to my decision earlier this year to avoid formal training and just heal up from a debilitating foot injury I suffered this time last year. So far I've successfully avoided over training, which is how I tend to get hurt running. It's working, but I'm getting a little itchy for a race.

No comments: